How to find the perfect Gluhwein recipe?
We’ve tasted quite a few Gluhwein in South Africa, but the results mostly did not taste very nice. So, lets first see what could go wrong:
- The first mistake – to use too many cloves – if you use too many cloves, your Gluhwein will leave a bad taste in your mouth. For hours.
- The second mistake – to use cheap wine – this will be the guarantee for a terrible headache.
- The third mistake – to add water – you never add water.
- The ultimate mistake – boil the Gluhwein – if you boil it, the fun is gone.
There are different regional variations, and the recipe itself is always more of a guideline than a rulebook. This recipe is for the German Gluhwein, which literally translates to glow-wine, because of how you feel after you’ve been drinking it from specially designed mugs outside
during December during June/July school holidays. Gluhwein hardly needs a recipe; it’s just wine, sugar, and spices.
The main ingredients
are red wine, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, aniseed, star anise and orange slices or orange juice.
- For 4 cups of Gluhwein, don’t use more than 3 or 4 cloves
- Don’t use cheap red wine, cheap wine is usually very sour and you need to add a lot of sugar. This sugar is responsible for a very bad headache you will end up the next day.
- Don’t add water or boil the spices in water, it will only water the Gluhwein. Instead, use orange juice.
- Do not boil the Gluhwein! Mulling wine is not exactly rocket science, but this is really something to keep in mind.
Pour juice and red wine into a saucepan. Add our German Gluhwein spice mix. Use medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Reduce to low heat for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep an eye out so that it doesn’t reach a full simmer. Strain and serve in
small Gluhwein mugs. If you serve in glasses, make sure that they have been preheated in warm water, cold glasses will break.
In Germany, each Christmas market offers new Gluhwein mugs every year. They have become collectables.
Our 2018 Gluhwein cups
It’s an incredible experience to spend time with your family and friends sipping at a perfect cup of traditional German Gluhwein. Probably some snow crystals are falling from heaven in the far mountain range. The voice of the carols and the beautiful coloured warming lights will enchant your senses. Enjoy the aroma of sweets and a cup of hot spiced Gluhwein warming your heart from within. What else do you need? Start shopping Gluhwein spices in our ONLINE SHOP! Make the perfect German Gluhwein in the blink of an eye!
We ship with courier all over South Africa, delivery takes ca. 2 working days. Delivery in the wider Cape Town area is free of charge, depending on our schedule.